The Formal Nude $189.00*
Sourcelight Photo Workshops Training Series
“Bringing your photography into focus…”
Designed especially for photographers with little or no experience working with nude models, this all-day workshop offers a unique opportunity for up to 3 students to explore formal nude photography with guidance from professional fine-art nude specialists. In a simple, non-intimidating studio environment, students learn to create classic bodyscape and silhouette compositions that feature the lines, surfaces, and curves of the nude human form, plus a second session on the formal nude (environmental) portrait. In addition to technical instruction in composition, lighting, and equipment usage, students learn how to develop a concept and communicate it clearly and effectively in order to work with and direct the model. Combining concise, easy-to-understand demonstrations with ample opportunities for individual sessions with the model, The Formal Nude will help you develop the confidence and skill to produce your own fine art nude photographs.
In The Formal Nude, you’ll learn:
- How to visualize your shot by creating simple backdrops or creatively arranging natural environments
- How to design appropriate lighting to showcase the model’s best features and create exciting compositions. Through step-by-step, light-by-light demonstrations, we’ll introduce you to the lighting gear that professionals use to create gallery-quality fine art nude images, and then show you how to make do with less.
- How to improve your communication and create rapport with models, including how to find and schedule them.
- New ways to improve your workflow to prepare for retouching
Is The Formal Nude for you?
If you are an intermediate-level amateur or working professional photographer who has always aspired to work in the fine-art nude genre, but didn’t know how to get started, Sourcelight Photo Workshops’ The Formal Nude is a great opportunity to shoot professional models in relaxed settings while being assisted with experienced coaching. Space is limited by design, so early registration is advised.
- Check-in: 8:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m., Continental breakfast provided
- Workshop hours: 9:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. (1-hour lunch break)
- 1 hour of fine-art nude genre background presentation and discussion
- 6 hours total shooting time, working with bodyscape and silhouette compositions and environmental portraiture
- 1 hour of participant image review and critique (Continental dinner provided)
- Location: Sourcelight Photography Studio, Boise, Idaho
- Personal attention and professional instruction
- One professional fine-art nude model
- Various backdrops
- Lighting, including studio monolights and portable speedlights with remote RF triggering, plus reflectors and diffusers
- Model Releases**
- DSLR or mirrorless camera with at least a 50mm focal-length lens; moderate wide-angle and/or telephoto lenses are encouraged, but not required
- Working familiarity with your camera’s basic controls, including how to alter and select focus areas and how to select and set your exposure priority mode. You should also understand your camera’s basic exposure metering system.
* The workshop fee is $189.00 ($159.00 with advance registration–see the Registration page for more information). Either the full fee or a $100.00 deposit is required to secure your registration. The deposit will be deducted from the total cost, and the balance will be due on the day of the workshop. We accept all credit/debit cards, cash, or personal checks made out to Sourcelight Photography.
Full refunds are issued for cancellations received in writing up to 14 days prior to the scheduled workshop date. Cancellations received after the cut-off date will result in the forfeiture of the deposit.
** The model release grants workshop photographers unlimited rights to use images they create for personal viewing or portfolio display, both printed and on-line; it does not grant permission to use any of the images for commercial sale. If the workshop-photographer anticipates using photos from the workshop for commercial sale, dedicated usage rights must be negotiated with the model herself using a separate form.