Sourcelight Photo Workshops Training Series
“Bringing your photography into focus…”
Both a practical and conceptual follow-up to the technical information and skills presented in Mastering Your Camera, Mastering Composition is a comprehensive 4-hour educational workshop for the serious amateur photographer who wants to learn how to arrange the visual elements in a scene to create a strong effect in the picture frame. If your finished photos never seem to have the strong impact that instantly tells the story you saw in your viewfinder, Mastering Composition will help you transform your random snapshots into frameable art.
In Mastering Composition, you’ll learn:
- The psychological, philosophical, and historical bases for our innate sense of compositional order
- How to analyze the scene, including using the “squint test,” to identify the most important elements
- How to arrange compositional elements to create a visual narrative
- Basic principles of composition, such as the Rule of Thirds, leading lines, using diagonals, managing contrast ratios and color, and many more
- Techniques for eliminating non-essential elements in your frame
Is Mastering Composition for you?
If you find the challenge of organizing the elements in your frame to create strong, unambiguous visual statements to be intimidating or even overwhelming… then yes, Sourcelight Photo Workshops’ Mastering Composition is for you. Space is limited to provide for more personalized instruction, so early registration is advised.
- Workshop hours: 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. select Saturday afternoons
- Location: Sourcelight Studio, Boise, Idaho
- Personal attention and professional instruction geared specifically to your own equipment, interests, and skill level
- An open line for follow-up questions after the workshop is completed
- Refreshments (yay!)
- Digital Single Lens Reflex (or mirrorless) Camera with at least the kit lens and your manual
- Working familiarity with your camera’s basic controls, including how to alter and select focus areas and how to select and set your exposure priority mode. You should also understand your camera’s basic exposure metering system.
The full workshop fee of $60 is required to secure your registration. We accept all credit/debit cards, cash, or personal checks made out to Sourcelight Photography.
Full refunds are issued for cancellations received in writing up to 7 days prior to the scheduled workshop date. Cancellations received after the cut-off date are subject to forfeiture of the payment.
* Special combo pricing is available if participants want to sign up for any or all of the other workshops in the Mastery Series: Mastering Your Camera, Mastering the Portrait, Mastering Outdoor Portrait Lighting, or Mastering the Landscape. See the Workshops Registration page for more details.